Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lucid dreaming leads to Sleep Paralysis Pt. 1


  A lucid dream is defined as any dream in which one is aware that one is dreaming. The term was coined by dutch psychiatrist Frederick Van Eden. In a lucid dream the dreamer may be able to excerpt some degree of control and try to manipulate there dream and control there dream enviroment. That's easy to say now but at age four it was just scientific jargon that I hadn't learned yet. I tried to control my dream on my own, alas to no avail. How did I know I was dreaming? you may ask: repetitive dreams. Night after night I had the same dream. So what does a four year old dream about? Let me set it up for you.


 My parents and I along with my older sister by three years lived in a one floor upstairs apartment.  There were three rooms, living, kitchen/dining and single bedroom. Since it was the early eighties my mother still had wall-to-wall shag carpeting, groovy psychedelic furniture, and lamps with faux diamonds hanging off them. My father had a huge wooden floor TV that was as tall as me, on either side of it were three foot statues of Sesame Streets Big Bird and Cookie monster. Collectors items in today's market I'm sure, if they were still around. I could see it vividly to this day, the living room with the red carpet, stucco ceiling, wood paneling. This is were the dream started each and every time. My sister stands next to me by the extended couch playing. She takes a toy screw driver from my hands and throws it across the room I walk slowly to pick it up in front of the giant TV set that had a grey soulless look when off. As I approach, I get down and crawl to the screwdriver in front of the TV, never taking my eyes off the statue to the right of the TV. In the future at this point in my dream I would be aware I was dreaming, being that I dreamt  it so many times. I would try to wake because I knew what was to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment